Tabatha Deans

Bringing Integrity to the Written Word

It was not long ago, okay, maybe it was long ago, ten years about, that I remember going for a bike ride in an effort to get fit. At the time I weighed nearly 200 pounds, and in reality rode about three miles around the neighborhood. I hated every moment of the ride, my lungs and legs burning from the exertion, and when I returned home and dismounted, I nearly fell to the ground as my legs had turned to rubber and could barely hold my weight. The bike went in the garage, where it sat collecting dust and guilt.
Oh, what a difference a decade makes. I awoke this morning, lungs free from nicotine, feeling energized, healthy and happy, with the fresh morning air coming through the window. (It was only 5:30, so the pigeons were not yet stalking me). Unable to go back to sleep, and eager to start my day, I decided to ride my bike to work. I’ve ridden it home from work, which is about 10 miles, but a good portion of that ride seems to be downhill. I’ve been tempted but nervous to attempt the morning ride, both for the exercise and riding both ways saves me 4.50 in transit fees. With no reason not to this morning, I headed out a little after six a.m.
I took bike trail number 10, which winds up 12th avenue. I’ve never taken the route before, but was pleasantly surprised when I ran into a park. I’m not sure which park it was, but it was quiet as I wend through the paths in search of the the road on the other side. I popped out at the entrance to the Denver Botanic Gardens, and couldn’t help but smile as I remembered my date there with Mr. R.
The road took me all the way to Monaco, one of my favorite roads to wander, since its lined with trees, grass and mansions from days of old. Traffic was light, so I opted to ride on the road, rather than the uneven, stone slab sidewalks. I began looking for a McDonald’s about halfway through my journey, thinking I definitely deserved a break today—in the form of a sausage muffin. Of course there was none to be found, so I pedaled on, and arrived at the office just over an hour after I left home. My legs were burning, and I did nearly fall to the ground when I dismounted because again my legs had turned to rubber.
I was reminded of that time way back when, and as I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the window, I couldn’t help but smile. Who was this woman? This woman who voluntarily rode ten miles at 6 o’clock in the morning, just for the helluvit?
This woman is me. The me I’ve always known I could, and should be.

June 10, 2012 - Posted by | Uncategorized


  1. Very cool! AND you did it at a mile high with thin air too! You rock!

    Comment by Tim | June 10, 2012 | Reply

  2. Awesome! You are an inspiration to me! Love all your adventures and outlook on life!

    Comment by Christine | June 10, 2012 | Reply

  3. Nice.just goes to show we all have room to grow!

    Comment by jay schinner | June 15, 2012 | Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: